There is no such thing as a perfect parent. It’s a very tough job, and I think most of us will agree it’s much tougher than we ever thought it would be! That’s one reason why we sometimes want some advice; to reinforce what we are already doing right, as well as pick up some additional skills to be better. Like anything else, good parenting takes practice and these skills can be learned over time. The following are some traits of a good parent:
- A good parent is loving to his or her children.There are lots of ways to show your kids that you love them. Saying “I love you” is just part of it. You need to be supportive and available, respectful and never too busy for them.
- A good parent is also a good listener. And there is a big difference between active listening and passive listening. Your kids will know the difference. By actively listening, you not only hear what they are saying but you are engaging them in conversation about it.
- A good parent provides a feeling of safety and security. We can’t hang onto them forever but we can make them feel safe and protected. There is nothing more comforting to your child than a safe and loving home.
- A good parent creates a structured environment. Your children need this routine whether they think they do or not. They may complain about brushing their teeth or making their bed or doing their homework, but these routines and expectations provide order in their lives.
- A good parent is proud of his children and tells them often. You don’t need your kid to score a touchdown or get an A on his spelling test to be proud of him. You can just be proud of him for being a great kid. Tell him this on a regular basis.
- A good parent has a set of rules and expectations and sticks to them. The most important point here is to be consistent. If there are two parents involved they both need to be on the same page. It’s confusing to the child otherwise, and provides too many opportunities to pit one parent against the other.
This Content is Generated from RSS Feeds, if your content is featured and you would like to be removed, please Contact Us With your website address and name of site you wish to be removed from.
You can control what content is distributed in your RSS Feed by using your Website Editor.